Following the Government's Plan B announcement and news that the new Omicron COVID-19 variant is spreading fast, I want to share with you our plans for the safe return of students to school in January.
Government guidance requires all secondary schools to provide an on-site test for students before their return to class. Testing in school helps to boost participation and will help reduce transmission after a period of mixing over the holidays.
You will appreciate that testing our entire school, so that students can return following a negative test, provides some logistical challenges. Our aim is to get students back into class as quickly as possible, so it is important you ensure your child attends their LFD test slot having completed the consent that has been sent to you via SMS/MyED/Email.
This means that:-
- On Tuesday 4th and Wednesday 5th January 2022 - students will attend school for testing only. Lessons will be delivered remotely to all year groups. Details on how to access lessons remotely using Microsoft Teams will be sent separately.
- Thursday 6th January - all students with negative tests can return to school.
We will be reinstating our test centre which proved to be successful in detecting asymptomatic cases, and we would ask you to please complete the consent form below to allow your child to have a test in school.
The plan for testing is outlined below:-
- Each student will be required to be in school for up to an hour to take the test.
- Students should arrive at school on their designated testing day at their appointed time to undertake a test in our test centre located in the school gym.
- We request that parents/carers transport their children to school for the test to avoid mixing with other students.
- Once the test is completed they will need to go straight home.
- Students are not required to wear uniform when coming into school to take the test but must bring their school lanyards with them.
- Students will be required to socially distance whilst waiting for the test and should wear a mask or face covering where possible.
- Students should not arrive in school in friendship groups and must socially distance on their way to and from school.
- If we have received your consent, you have been allocated time slots by surname which allow families to come together for the test. Please find below a table of your allocated time.
|A - B||Tuesday 4th January 2022||8:30am to 10:30am|
|C||Tuesday 4th January 2022||10:30am to 11:30am|
|D - F||Tuesday 4th January 2022||11:30am to 12:30pm|
|G - i||Tuesday 4th January 2022||12:30pm to 2:30pm|
|J - M||Wednesday 5th January 2022||8:30am to 10:00am|
|N - Q||Wednesday 5th January 2022||10:00am to 11:30am|
|R - S||Wednesday 5th January 2022||11:30am to 1:00pm|
|T - Z||Wednesday 5th January 2022||1:00pm to 2:30pm|
How will the test be conducted?
Our testing centre will again be situated in the school gym, close to the main entrance to the school. The lateral flow tests are quick and easy to undertake. Parents and carers will be informed by email/SMS of a positive or negative result from the online NHS system (on the mobile number/email address provided on the consent form).
If the result is positive the school will inform the student and parent/carer of this as soon as possible.
**Anyone who has received a positive PCR of Lateral Flow test for COVID-19, within the last 90 days does not need to be tested. **
**Update 3rd January 2021 - We would we encourage individuals who have had covid in the last 90 days to be tested on return and to do twice weekly tests at home. If they receive a positive lateral flow test then the confirmatory PCR will distinguish between a false positive and a new infection with Omicron. **
**Anyone who has symptoms should NOT come onto site and should follow NHS guidance regarding obtaining a test. **
If you have not received either an SMS, Email or MyED app message with the link for your child's consent form please get in touch.
Thank you for your continued support; it is greatly appreciated.